Filmed on location in the urban and rural green spaces of Hong Kong, this new film from Corey Baker raises awareness of the vital role of nature in all our lives
Corey Baker Dance
This World Environment Day a new short film, Lying Together, premieres worldwide through BBC Culture in Quarantine and in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). World Environment Day is the United Nations’s day for environmental action, celebrated on 5 June since 1974. This year’s theme is: 'It’s time #ForNature.'
Lying Together was filmed in rural and urban settings across Hong Kong, including breathtaking aerial footage of the dancers performing on the tops of the city’s highest skyscrapers. Chen Zhiyao, Amber Lewis, Li Jiabo, Ma Renjie, Forrest Rain Oliveros along with other members of Hong Kong Ballet, perform Baker’s iconic quirky choreography with musical accompaniment from acclaimed multi-instrumentalist FKJ.
Corey Baker Dance, run by award-winning choreographer/director Corey Baker, has an international reputation for creating a diverse array of work across film, TV and theatre, using unusual locations and reaching non-traditional theatre audiences.
Corey Baker's Dance's 2018 film, Antarctica: The First Dance, was filmed on the icy continent celebrating Antarctica while we still have it. The film, commissioned by The Space and Channel 4 Random Acts and featured Royal New Zealand Ballet dancer Madeleine Graham. Antarctica: The First Dance has been seen by over 5 million people around the globe to date.
'Baker’s ambition is that that his work and film provokes a deeper appreciation and awareness for the environment'
Baker’s ambition is that that his work and film provokes a deeper appreciation and awareness for the environment. If you want to know more about what to do on and for World Environment Day, check out this toolkit from the United Nations Environment Programme.
Lying Together was created in partnership with Hong Kong Ballet as part of their Ballet in the City – HKB Goes Viral campaign. The film was supported by Arts Council England, Birmingham Hippodrome, West Midlands Growth Company, Southside BID, Tai Kwun, The Space and Hong Kong Tourism Board.
- Director/Choreographer: Corey Baker
- Producers: Corey Baker and Anne Beresford
- Main Dancers: Chen Zhiyao, Amber Lewis, Li Jiabo, Ma Renjie, Forrest Rain Oliveros, Hong Kong Ballet
- Music: FKJ, Lying Together
- Director of Photography: Derrick Fong
- Editors: Sam Sneade and Travis Moore
- Supported by: Hong Kong Ballet, Arts Council England, Birmingham Hippodrome, Southside BID, West Midlands Growth Company Ltd, The Space, Tai Kwun, Hong Kong Tourism Board
- With thanks to: The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, Rosewood HongKong, Hysan Development Company Limited, West Kowloon Cultural District, Julie’s Bicycle, Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, Exile, Company 3, Production company Corey Baker Dance Ltd.